Rabbi Elizabeth S. Wood

Rabbi Elizabeth S. Wood
Celebrating Havdallah

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Slow down, you move too fast....


New York. Of all the things New York has taught me in the last month, it's this: slow down!!! Not the city, mind you...me. I came in here guns blazing, ready to take on the world. And this city, ironically, has taught me that sometimes I need to take time to get everything done. I'm a fast mover, a fast talker, and a fast thinker. But I've learned some important lessons.

In a city of millions of people, sometimes things just take time. Wherever I am, there are always lines. If I need to get something done, it might take multiple steps/trips and have to go through lots of people. If I want to go somewhere, I can't always jump in my car and speed off to wherever I need to be - there is too much traffic. And if it's public transportation, forget it - I'm on their schedule.

I'm not always the most patient person in the world (though I am ALWAYS trying to work on this). New York has taught me that with millions of people around me every day, and everyone is trying to get somewhere or do something or be someone - there needs to be a lot of patience. I try, every day, to be patient with myself and with others, no matter what the situation. It's hard, but I find that in New York, this is a key component to healthy living.

So far, I'm loving the city - and I'm loving the great lessons I'm learning. Who knew that I'd have to come to one of the most fast-paced cities in the world to learn that I personally need to slow down a little and continue practicing patience?? I love the fast pace of everything here, but the irony of my own personal need to slow down, be patient, and wait my turn is all too evident.

What great lessons have you learned this month??!!??

No comments: